Manning's Pregnancy & Birth

Manning 6th September 2017

At 33 after what was the most horrible pregnancy my husband and I decided to go back for another. We had unprotected sex once and I was pregnant. It was very fast and felt very overwhelming. I was not sick at all!!! 

I had a feeling that it may be a baby boy in my belly as I didn't feel nausious at all, we decided to find out the gender and we were right! A little boy! 

I reached the half way point of this pregnancy peacefully with zero sickness and pain. Then while on a family holiday in China, I noticed getting out of bed was difficult, but thought it was round ligament pain again or from walking so much on our holiday. The pain got worse and became more intense. At my 20 week ultrasound they noticed something was not correct within my pelvis. By 24 weeks I was diagnosed with separated pubis symphis, I had seen a chiropractor and physiotherapist, was given three hip stability belts and the pain continued to escalate. At 32 weeks I called my maternal health nurse in tears and she suggested I see an osteo, the osteo made me feel better and suggested I ask for an epidural so I had a chance at delivering naturally. 

In the end I cried constantly and felt blue about the whole pregnancy. My husband had to take time off work to help look after me and Maple - who I hadn't been able to pick up for months. 

At 37 weeks after copious amounts of raspberry leaf tablets and full pineapples I went to my pregnancy care appointment and spoke to the most incredible obstetrician. Again I was crying about how terrible I am at making babies, she booked me in to be induced, gave me a stretch and sweep and sent me on my way. The moment I hobbled out on crutches from that room I felt pains, different pains... I got home and could no longer get up the stairs in our home, so I sat and cried (some more). 

Again all night I was up going to the toilet and at 5am I saw blood, so my husband and I jumped in the car and on the way to the hospital we were timing that the contractions were every three minutes. We were lucky to be given a bed (Sep 6th is a busy day in the delivery rooms) I started on gas when I arrived and it worked until 10am when I asked for the epidural... The epidural was heavenly! I was able to relax and was no longer in pain from the separated pubis symphis or contractions. I was able to have a laugh, make phone calls and move about. I vomited, but other than that it was the most amazing, peaceful and relaxed birth I could ever have imagined! A few little pushes later and Manning my first son and last child arrived.

He looked a little batted from being stuck in my wonky pelvis and it took me a little longer to bond with him, but his little face and perfect dimples completed our family. 

I felt incredibly liberated knowing that I would never have to go through another pregnancy. I am beyond grateful for our three happy, healthy humans. 

Rhianna Bruscella